Sunday, February 27, 2011

Who is Leading?

Ok, so I've been really bad about this whole blogging thing, but maybe I'll get better when I have more time.  That day will probably be when I'm dead. :)  They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but I don't think that principle will apply here.  Anyway, I'm writing now so enjoy it while it lasts!


I'm reading a book by Francis Chan called The Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit. It's a great book, and as I read it I'm realizing how much I really do forget about the Holy Spirit.  Even when I do remember that He is there, I tend to forget that He is God just as much as Jesus and the Father.  I read in Chapter 4 this morning and there was one section that really struck me.  It was titled "Followers or Leaders?"


The big question Francis is asking is "do I want to lead or be lead by the Spirit?"  He follows that question with "did God lead you where you are?"  I thought this was very applicable to my life right now.  I know that God lead me to FBBC to study education, but I graduate in May.  I also know that God has lead me to my wonderful fiancé Jerrod, and I marry him a week after graduation.  I know that He has called us to serve this summer at camp, but the question is "where do we go from there?"  Am I willing to let the Spirit lead Jerrod and I where ever He has for us to go?  I like to say that I am, but do I really want Him to change the plans I think I have made to work out so perfectly?  Have I learned over the last 21 years that God's way is best?  Jeremiah 29:11 tells me that He has a plan and that it is for my good, but do I believe that and am I willing to let Him take the lead in my life?  I do.  I want that.  I realize, though, that I cannot do this alone. It is going to take a lot of trust and prayer to make this a reality in my life.  I want God to take my life and make it what He wants it to be.


The set up is pretty much perfect for me (and Jerrod) to be able to put this into practice.  We have no concrete plans for the fall.  We have an idea of what could happen, but if God were to lead us somewhere else (as long as we're willing, trusting, and listening) we could go.  I am excited to see what He has for us, but at the same time it can be a little bit scary.  But I know that I can find comfort in His promises in Scripture.  Hebrews 13:5 reminds me that He will never leave me or forsake me.  Jeremiah 29:11 tells me He has a plan and my best interest in mind. One of my new favorites 1 Thessalonians 5:24 says "He who calls you is faithful; He will surely do it."  

No comments:

Post a Comment