Today is a first for me. I am going to post my first DIY
project recipe. Today, I'm tackling microwave popcorn!
So as I was surfing my some different blogs today, and I discovered you can make your own microwave popcorn! Of course, after reading it I just had to try it myself. I am not a HUGE popcorn lover, but I do enjoy an occasional bowl. I prefer to have it made in a popper instead of just the store-bought microwaveable bag, so this seemed like it could be a good alternative.
So, without further ado...
**drum roll please**
...and in true blogger fashion...
I bring you Microwave Popcorn!
Although, a true blogger would post pictures along with the instructions, I decided my new "friend" Jessica went through all the work of taking pictures I'll just let you see hers here. :)
Here is what you need: olive oil, popcorn kernels, brown paper bag, toppings
1. place 1/4 to 1/2 cup of popcorn in a paper bag
2. add 1/2 to 1 tbs of olive oil to bag and shake it up
3. fold over the top of the bag a couple times
4. place in the microwave for about 2 minutes
5. pour into a bowl and add your toppings of choice
I tested it out and had fun doing it! I think it would be a fun thing to do with kids too.
Here are a couple things I learned...
1. I think 1/3 cup of popcorn would work best with the size of the paper bag. I did 1/2 cup and it was very full.
2. I used 1/2 Tbs of oil, and it worked well. You could also make it without the oil, but then you miss out on the fun of shaking the bag! :)
3. I cooked mine for less than 2 min and a few kernels were burned in the middle, but 95% of it was perfect!
4. Toppings... There are so many different things you could use. I used parmesan cheese and a little bit of salt. Some other ideas: butter and salt, dry ranch dressing mix, m&m's, craisins, powdered cheese topping, garlic, cinnamon sugar, seasoned salt, taco seasoning, and I've even heard of lemon or lime juice (haven't tried that one yet) Go here for more topping ideas.
Overall, I would give this project an A. :)