Monday, December 27, 2010

The Cross...

      Well, in my search of Mary, the next place I found her is at the cross, so that is where I am today.  It makes sense to me when I think about it, that Mary would not be mentioned in other places because Jesus is grown up and not living with Mom and Dad anymore.  What a great example for us right?  Now, I know there are some valid reasons for people still living with their parents after they are adults, but I think that if you can work and live on your own then do it.  With that being said here is Mary at the cross...


John 19:25-27
      This passage is not very long, so I read some of the proceeding verses to get a good idea of what John had to say about the crucifixion.  What a painful and terrible thing it was.   I cannot imagine standing by to watch.  As a kid, we would often watch the "Jesus" movie (kids version) at Easter time.  I couldn't even watch the crucifixion scene in the movie.  I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it in person.  Then to think He did it for me.
       Then I think about Mary.  I am not a mother, so I do not claim to know exactly how Mary would have felt.  I think I can come close and as I think of some of the children I have babysat for and grown to love.  I would do anything to protect them.  I can't imagine watching one of them die and I'm not even their mother.  We don't hear anything from Mary, in this passage, but we do see the last words that Jesus said to her.  It was basically Jesus making sure that someone would take care of her after He was gone.  He said to Mary "woman behold your son" and to John "behold your mother."  And there Jesus goes again, setting an example for us.  I think that it is important that children make sure that their parents are taken care of and cared for as they get older.  My parents have been taking care of me for the last 21 years, and it continues to be that way until I get married in May.  Yes, I make most of my own decisions and basically live on my own, but they still check in on me and make sure I am cared for.  I think it is the least I can do to return the favor and care for them when they get older.
      I think too, that this was another way Jesus could show that he loved her.  When was the last time you told your parents you loved them? or maybe a better question is, Do you love your parents?  I know I do, and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.


I love you mom and dad! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment